• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Hi, I would like to know if I have a case. My mother was able to look into my medical records to find out if I had an abortion, which I did. I am 20 years old and currently live with my father because I got into some criminal trouble while I was living with my mother. She was able to access my records because she is employed by the hospital that I go to for my medical care. I feel humilitated and violated. She told my father about the procedure that I had. I am suing because she caused distress upon me. Unfortnately, I cannot prove any damages. In fact in depositions, my father even testified that he was not distressed over this (which was the basis of my case). I still have something to prove. I do not think that it is right for a parent or anyone for that matter, to look into medical records just to get information to tell to the other parent. Please tell me if I have a case because I want to get money from her, I live in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential