• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing for past due rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont
I have a tenant with who I have been in the eviction process as per Vermont law since Late Nov.
We are at the point where the tenant now has 20 days to respond to a judges order.
He now owes over $6 K without adding any court fees.
Can he be ordered to jail for that amount of money?
Is that still considered grand Larceny?

Please do not tell me I should have started proceedings earlier, i started when he was 1 month late. it just takes that long in Vermont.

Kingstien

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont
I have a tenant with who I have been in the eviction process as per Vermont law since Late Nov.
We are at the point where the tenant now has 20 days to respond to a judges order.
He now owes over $6 K without adding any court fees.
Can he be ordered to jail for that amount of money?
Is that still considered grand Larceny?

Please do not tell me I should have started proceedings earlier, i started when he was 1 month late. it just takes that long in Vermont.
You have already started another thread. Since he paid for 5 years have you inquired why he stopped? Are you sure he's still alive?

steffb503

I started this thread because it is no longer a real estate question. I am asking about his possible jail time and charges that can be placed on him.
Yes he is alive, he answered the door when the sheriff caught him off guard last month and his car comes and goes.
Since he will not answer my phone calls or pick up any certified mail from me or the sheriff, I doubt I will be able to ask him Why he stopped paying, I do not care why!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">