• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the CRA's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howdoI

What is the name of your state? FL

I am asking this for someone else. How do you go about suing the credit bureaus? They have been trying to get an account that is not theirs off the reports for over a year. They have sent DV letters and get nothing in return. I think this week they sent a letter to the OC asking how they verified a debt that was not theirs. Transunion sent a response that said their request was frivolous. TU may think it is frivolous but my friends sure don't.

I have no idea how to file a suit on them or what the next step is. I am still trying to get proof of one of my own.

Can someone point me to a post or info on filing a lawsuit on the CRA's for not deleteing an invalid account? Also do they need an attorney or is this something they can do own their own? Thanks.

Ladynred

How do you go about suing the credit bureaus?
You hire a lawyer, draw up the Complaint, file it with the courts and have the 3 bureaus served with the summons and complaint.

They have sent DV letters and get nothing in return.
DV to WHO ??? Debt validation is NOT for the CRA's, it's used with collection agencies and in some states MAY be used on original creditors.

Transunion sent a response that said their request was frivolous. TU may think it is frivolous but my friends sure don't.
If you had done any research, you would have found that TU's inevitable response to multiple disputes is their notorious 'frivolous' letter. If they have previously investigated the SAME CLAIM, they WILL send you that letter. If nothing in your subsequent disputes differed from the initial dispute, TU, and the other 2, will send you the SAME 'frivolous' letter.

Have your friends dipsuted DIRECTLY with the FURNISHER of the disputed information ?? If not, why not ?? Under FACTA consumers ARE now allowed to dispute directly with the furnisher in the same way you dispute with the CRA's.

IS the account the result of identity theft ???

There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with the CRA's.. your friends appear to be doing it the wrong way. That's not to say that the CRA's don't need to be sued, they have a new class action against them right now, but unless you follow the right steps, you will have big trouble suing them. The are NASTY to deal with and they WILL bury your friends if they do not have the money to hire a GOOD lawyer that KNOWS how to fight this battle.

I suggest you head over to www.myfaircredit.com and contact one of the lawyers there. One of them has sued the 3 bureaus many times and knows how to deal with them.

howdoI

Ladynred said:
You hire a lawyer, draw up the Complaint, file it with the courts and have the 3 bureaus served with the summons and complaint.

Ok, they thought they could file themselves.

DV to WHO ??? Debt validation is NOT for the CRA's, it's used with collection agencies and in some states MAY be used on original creditors.

They sent DV's to the Collection Agencies.....2 or 3 of them in the past year. They just sent a letter to the OC asking how they verified an account that was not theirs.

If you had done any research, you would have found that TU's inevitable response to multiple disputes is their notorious 'frivolous' letter. If they have previously investigated the SAME CLAIM, they WILL send you that letter. If nothing in your subsequent disputes differed from the initial dispute, TU, and the other 2, will send you the SAME 'frivolous' letter.

I did read that on some thread. I am not sure how they disputed with the CRA's or what was stated. I am sure they just said the account was not valid or some such.

Have your friends dipsuted DIRECTLY with the FURNISHER of the disputed information ?? If not, why not ?? Under FACTA consumers ARE now allowed to dispute directly with the furnisher in the same way you dispute with the CRA's.

I think the furnisher of the info is the OC. I briefly looked at the credit reports and that is really all I saw. It shows as a charge off in dispute. I think this is just her account alone and not her husbands.

IS the account the result of identity theft ???

Don't think so. She had an account for years, but said she did not use it much. (???) I am not sure about all of it so I am going to tell them to come here and ask the questions. That way it is not second hand info and I certainly do not claim to be an expert by any means.

There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with the CRA's.. your friends appear to be doing it the wrong way. That's not to say that the CRA's don't need to be sued, they have a new class action against them right now, but unless you follow the right steps, you will have big trouble suing them. The are NASTY to deal with and they WILL bury your friends if they do not have the money to hire a GOOD lawyer that KNOWS how to fight this battle.

I suggest you head over to www.myfaircredit.com and contact one of the lawyers there. One of them has sued the 3 bureaus many times and knows how to deal with them.
Thanks for the info. I will go to the site and also send them the link to it and this board so they can come and give the correct info. Thanks for the help though. I now see that I cannot relay info back and forth for them. Way above my head. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">