• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summer visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

w8gqoi

What is the name of your state? Missouri

What is considered to be a fair summer visitation schedule starting for a 2 year old in which the mother, primary custodian, is a teacher and has the entire summer off and the father works all but 1 week of the summer and will not allow mother to babysit while father is at work.

CJane

In general, in Missouri the standard summer visitation is 2 uninterrupted weeks. The child care arrangements that father must make, should he choose to exercise his time are really irrelevant, as is your profession/work schedule. Dad deserves time with his kid, regardless.

w8gqoi

So, then do you view the following as fair and reasonable?
3 weeks (one each month), continuing to alternate weekends and one weekday visitation from 10-7 (allowing time with him or parents) until starting kindergarten, then 10-7 in summer and 4-7 during school? He refuses to settle for less than 6 weeks, saying the other 5 weeks are for bonding with his parents. His mother, of whom I am very fond of, babysits for 4-6 small children (3 infants) in a basement with no windows. I think this is excessive and she should be raised by her mother (or parents) when possible.

CJane

Where is dad located? Is there a great distance involved?

If he's nearby (as I assumed since you said something about babysitting child in summer), then no, that's not reasonable. Dad should have (and would most likely get) every other weekend, one night per week, every other holiday, half of spring break, half of christmas break, etc. IN ADDITION TO his 2 uninterrupted weeks in the summer. Again, it is not up to you to say what dad does with the child on HIS time. He can leave her with the garbage man, and as long as she's not being harmed, there's nothing you can do about it.

w8gqoi

He lives 5 minutes away. We are modifying our custody plan and he finally agreed to split all the holidays as you mentioned. He is getting all of what you mentioned. I just wanted to see if I would be forced to give six weeks instead of three if we went to trial. I am not trying to keep her from him. So, I'm not sure I understood if you think three weeks in the summer is reasonable or six? You said two was customary in Missouri before and I am willing to give three.

tigger22472

w8gqoi said:
So, then do you view the following as fair and reasonable?
3 weeks (one each month), continuing to alternate weekends and one weekday visitation from 10-7 (allowing time with him or parents) until starting kindergarten, then 10-7 in summer and 4-7 during school? He refuses to settle for less than 6 weeks, saying the other 5 weeks are for bonding with his parents. His mother, of whom I am very fond of, babysits for 4-6 small children (3 infants) in a basement with no windows. I think this is excessive and she should be raised by her mother (or parents) when possible.

What does Missouri state guidelines say about summer visitation?

If what you are offering is less then what the guidelines state and he disagrees with it then it will likely go to the guidelines. The fact you want the child when the father works isn't totally unreasonable, however it should be stated in the court order, however the judge could rule that he has he right to find adequate babysitters on his time.

LdiJ

Ok....here is what I think is fair.

I think that you should trade off every other week in the summer time. However, I think that you should ask the judge to allow you to provide the daycare during dad's time (since apparently you are close enough to do so).
There is at least a chance that the judge would agree that the child should be with you while dad is working.

sroutlaw

In MO one week of every summer month is considered pretty standard these days.
The babysitting aspect is called right of first refusal, and it swings both ways - if you want to be the first in line for rights to "babysit" your daughter when he is in need of a carer, then you must also provide him that same right, to "Babysit" his daughter at any time you need a carer.
So you may win ground there in MO easily - all the parenting plans I have seen (many, sadly) have that right of first refusal in them.
S

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">