• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summer visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

A little background information -- about a year ago my ex wife moved out of state and left our children with me. We agreed that i would have them for the school year and she would get them holidays and summer break and that i could move to my home state of michigan.
Recently my ex wife moved to michigan and we are trying to come up with a new schedule for our 5 and 6 year old children, she is also only 10 minutes away from our home.
The ex wife is stating she still wants them the whole summer and then also wants to do 50/50 during the school year.
My question is am i being unrealistic that i dont believe she should get the entire summer nor 50/50 during the school year? Everyone i have talked to says that I'm not being unfair that usually parents get every other weekend and maybe a day out of the week during the school year, and maybe week on week off or the same schedule during the summer just so the routine i have them in doesn't change to much because they are so young.
Thank you.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. If she gets some long period of uninterrupted parenting so should you.

t74

There are many discussions on this forum of the pros, cons, and legal issues with 50/50. You both would benefit from reviewing them before deciding what might be most appropriate for your children.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
When your ex wife left the kids with you, was that "agreement" formalized as a court order?

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes we went to court and signed paper work for that and also a relocation agreement.
Good. That means that the current custody arrangement is already legally recognized; this is not an initial custody determination.

Then I believe that in order for that great a change to be approved without your agreement, she would have to show a "change of circumstance" for the children. Her moving closer justifies having something other than a long distance parenting plan, but it does not justify a huge change of custody.

It does not sound like you are being incredibly unreasonable, which, should it get to the point of going to court, should be a point in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">