• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suemedlock

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
:confused:
I, unfortunately, was convinced to let a debt negotiation company negotiate 3 of my credit card debts. To make a long story short, one of the credit card companies has decided to use the services of a local attorney and serve me with a summons. My question is threefold: What are my legal rights concerning the summons? Must I answer it? What happens if I chose not to?
The debt negotiation was a VERY wrong decision. I have asked them to contact the creditor and arrange payment rather than possibly going to court. I am taking what money I have in their "set-aside" account that I pay into each month and probably use a debt consolidator that I had originally applied to. Confusing???? Just need some input and advice as to what to do. Am I wise leaving the debt negotiators? Should I use a debt consolidation company instead?
Thanks for any advice you might be able to give to me.

bigun

You don't have to answer the summons but, if you don't the cc company will get a judgment against you. They can then garnish your wages, attach a lein on your home or, anything else your state law allows them to do in order to collect.
I would suggest a very humble approach to the cc company and see about working out an out of court settlement may be the most prudent course of action.

S

suemedlock

Arkansas

What if I am late answering the summons? Also, is it imperative to file the answer with the court?

K

KeyLegal

If you are late in answering the summons, most likely the creditor's attorney will take a default judgment against you. If you answer the summons, but do not send it to the court, then you have probably not complied with the terms of the summons. Read it and see if it doesn't say you must respond to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">