• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supermarket Slip and Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RMM34667

What is the name of your state? FL

Last night I stopped at a supermarket I had never been in before. It was very close to closing (10:45). As I entered the store there were four employees outside smoking. I walked through the store looking for a specific item.

Suddenly I was on the floor. Some one had dropped a 12 pack of Corona on the floor. There was a caution cone next to it which I didn't see since I was looking at the hanging signs.

I found the manager and complained. He offered me his apology. At this point I think I was more upset and shaken up and didn't really feel I was actually injured (except maybe my pride).

This morning I am feeling pain in my knee (which I feel on) and my wrist (which I used to break my fall) and some slight pain in my lower back.

I did call the store this morning and ask that they fill out a report on the incident. They took my name, address and info on my fall.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: what should I do now? I can't say I have any serious injury, but I am in some pain. But mostly I am ANGRY. It was obvious someone knew about the spill because of the cone, however they decided to go outside and smoke instead of taking care of it. Should I get checked out and pursue it, or just take some asprin and let it go?

thanks

S

shell007

RMM34667 said:
What is the name of your state? FL

Last night I stopped at a supermarket I had never been in before. It was very close to closing (10:45). As I entered the store there were four employees outside smoking. I walked through the store looking for a specific item.

Suddenly I was on the floor. Some one had dropped a 12 pack of Corona on the floor. There was a caution cone next to it which I didn't see since I was looking at the hanging signs.

I found the manager and complained. He offered me his apology. At this point I think I was more upset and shaken up and didn't really feel I was actually injured (except maybe my pride).

This morning I am feeling pain in my knee (which I feel on) and my wrist (which I used to break my fall) and some slight pain in my lower back.

I did call the store this morning and ask that they fill out a report on the incident. They took my name, address and info on my fall.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: what should I do now? I can't say I have any serious injury, but I am in some pain. But mostly I am ANGRY. It was obvious someone knew about the spill because of the cone, however they decided to go outside and smoke instead of taking care of it. Should I get checked out and pursue it, or just take some aspirin and let it go?

thanks
Take some aspirin and Let it go. You didn't hit the lottery this week. Try again next week.

Why do you assume that the four people outside smoking were the ones responsible for cleaning up the spill. Maybe they were the cashiers or something, and did not even know that the spill was there.

Maybe at about the same time you fell was when someone went to go and get a mop.

Anyway, the orange cone was there to warn of danger. It's not the stores fault that you weren't paying attention to where you were walking.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RMM34667

well thanks for your rude responses.. this board hasn't changed much. Bored people get off by posting what they consider witty responses.

Actually I am hurting more as the day goes buy. There would be no reason for me to be looking at the ground. A normal person has every expectation that a big supermarket would keep their floors free of beer puddles.

And I wasn't looking to hit the lottery. I work for a living. But looks like I will be leaving early today due to my back pain. And I guarentee you I will be reimbursed for it.

Have a nice day. No need to respond.

loveumms

Just wanted to point out something - not to be rude but, something that you should think about if you do try to get reimbursed.

If you notified the manager at the time of the incident did you get acknowledgment of the accident in writing? I only ask b/c then you will at least have proof that you slipped due to the spill resulting in injuries.

The supermarkets insurer might just settle if you are asking for a reasonable amount. However, the insurer will surely try and say that you may have slipped and fell at the store but if you didn't go the doctor/ER immediately and get documentation that you were injured, you may have injured yourself inbetween the time you fell and the time you sought medical attention. Not sure if that is clear - basically b/c you waited to get examined you could have slipped elsewhere (at your house, at another store, ect) and caused more injury. Or, you could have been lifting heavy objects or done some other strenuous exercise that caused further damage.

I know that injuries often get worse the day after, however if you cannot prove that your back pain was directly a result of your fall then you might have problems getting any money/reimbursement for medical care.

I can see how frustrating it is to come on here looking for advice and getting rude comments. Even though it may seem like the posters are being obnoxious they do have valid points (well, some of the points).

The caution cone might be enough for the supermarket to not have any liability pertaining to your injuries. I agree that most are not looking at the floor as they walk through the supermarket but, the cone being there was a warning to customers to watch out for the spill. And, the supermarket will most definitely say that an employee was getting a mop while the cone was up and that you just happened to be unlucky and not see the cone. Its kind of like the warning on McDonalds coffee cups (which stemmed from someone suing b/c the coffee was too hot and they burned themselves). Most people don't read that little tiny print before taking a big sip however, the fact that it is there shields McDs from liability if someone were to burn themselves.

S

shell007

well thanks for your rude responses.. this board hasn't changed much. Bored people get off by posting what they consider witty responses.

Actually I am hurting more as the day goes buy. There would be no reason for me to be looking at the ground. A normal person has every expectation that a big supermarket would keep their floors free of beer puddles.

And I wasn't looking to hit the lottery. I work for a living. But looks like I will be leaving early today due to my back pain. And I guarantee you I will be reimbursed for it.

Have a nice day. No need to respond.

No need to respond, but I will anyway!!!:) Consider it my pleasure!
I am not disputing the fact that you are hurting. However, the store did their part by putting up the "BIG BRIGHT RED WARNING CONE". It is not their fault that you did not see it because you were looking at the isle signs hanging from the ceiling looking for the ketchup.

C'mon...take responsibility for your own actions, open your eyes, and watch where you're going.

If you get reimbursed for it...Good for you...you may then consider yourself as another fellow citizen who abuses the system by "LOOKING TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK"!!!

BTW: My opinions are MINE and no one elses. I do hope you feel better!:)

Last edited:

msmarie

Hello rmm

Hi and trust me I wont be a rude one and dont let those comments disturbe you I myself had a bad accident where an endcap fell on my back and hip and I just had a back surgery 3 weeks ago and its not funny. and there were no cones or nothing it just came tumbling down and knocked me out. I did go see doctor that day because I was hurting so bad but you go and get it checked out and talk to the people in the store again. Be assertive and stick to what you know is the truth who cares what others think, you know in your heart your hurting your not a sue happy person but you got hurt just the same. yes they had those cones out so what actually happen? Was it still too wet and not enough cones or did you not see them? I did not have any cones nothing the endcap just came down from behind me and knocked me out and then they told me it wasnt hooked up right. It actually got dented imagine what it did to me hip and back and now I am out of work almost 5 months at a job I had for 20 years..so do what you need to do and get checked out by a doctor. You can write me and again just dont get upset about what people write on here, you just have to ignore some of it and be open minded to their remarks. Take care

Msmo

msmarie

Home after surgery

Well I just wanted everyone to know why I havent been on here in a while I had my back surgery and it was rough. I had no disc left and it was bone on bone and what a long surgery. I am recuperating slowly and cant sit here too long as it aches alot. I just wanted to let everyone know how I made out. Now to see what will happen with the work and the accident I had in May with shelf falling on me hip and back. How is everyone doing by the way?

Msmarie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">