• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Arrearage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Lauri Wilson

What is the name of your state? California
Help! My son-in-law has 3 kids from previous marriage, his ex-wife has agreed to forfeit the support that is in arrears(not the arrearage that's due to the state). He has a notarized statement from her forfeiting the arrearage. We were told that a motion needs to be filed with the courts to have this removed, is this true? If so, what sort of a motion is it and how does he get started on clearing this up? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.



I'm not sure about the state of California, but I know that in Washington state in that situation, all you have to do is bring the statement down to OSE (office of support enforcement) and they take care of it. Your son in law is very lucky!!! I wish my hubbys ex would do the same, especially since 3 1/2 years of backsupport is from the bio mom denying visitaion. But yet we still have to pay :( I hope it works for him, Good Luck!!!


I had the same exact situation and notarized agreement & my ex changed her mind but we still have the document. I tried to go through CSEA and they told me to go file a motion in court which my atty. did. But that is in OH. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential