• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support/birth certificate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WV

Hello! I am 30 years old and 3 months ago I met my bio-father. Long story short, my mom lied to him. She told him before I was born and again shortly after that he was not my father and she gave him another names name. We (my father and I) went through a mail order service and did a DNA test without my mother. He IS my father. :)

My mom is not being supportive at all. I want to have his name added to my birth certificate but she refuses. Can we (me & my father) do this without her? Also, if his name is added to my birth certificate does this give her any legal right to sue for child support? A friend of mine told me that she would have no right to sue him for back support since I am now an adult. I know that she would make it difficute for him and I don't want to cause him any problems.

Thanks so much!


Senior Member
You are an adult. Mom doesn't need to be involved. Dad could even legally "adopt" you, which would make him dad from adoption, rather than birth.


Senior Member
Contact your local court and inquire about the process to ament your birth certificate and/or to change your name. No your mother can't sue for child support or interfere with your relationship with your father.


Senior Member
Sissyjane said:
Thank you so much! What all would we need to do in order to have his name added?
Get a consult with an attorney. I suspect that what you want to do is merely a matter of paperwork...or at least could be, and it may be relatively simple...at least for an attorney..LOL.

If it is simple, then the legal fees would probably be minimal (relatively speaking). If its not simple then an attorney can best advise you of any potential problems/pitfalls.

Nextwife told you that your dad can also legally adopt you. That is absolutely true and it doesn't require your mother's consent. HOWEVER...if he does your mother won't legally be your mother anymore.

At this stage in your life the only legal issues regarding who is or isn't on your birth certificate are those of inheritance and who may act as your "next of kin". The rest is sentiment and geneology. You don't have to change your BC to have a dad...it sounds like you already have one.


Junior Member
LdiJ said:
You don't have to change your BC to have a dad...it sounds like you already have one.
Thank so much for all the info. You are right, I do have a dad. My mom lied to us for 30 yrs. I was always told that my dad knew about me and didn't want me and he was told that I was not his. We lost 30 yrs, years that we will never get back. I's been really hard for me to deal with all of this and I'm so happy to hear that I can move on and do what I need to do without my mother being involed.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential