• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support ramifications for lessening visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbell216

What is the name of your state?Illinois
My husband currently sees his two kids twice a month on the weekend. If he were to approach his ex wife about making the visitation only once a month--what could that do to the amount of child support he pays her. She currently gets $1500 a month for the two kids---which is more than reasonable. I am seeking a 'heads up' about it before we attempt any negotiation.
Thank you

kbell216

It is based on sole custody---he only has visitation rights. The support was only calculated by his income----his ex wife did not work after the two kids were born and my income was never factored into the arrangemet after we were married.

brisgirl825

Taking out one weekend a month would not make a huge deal anyway. Is dad planning on making up this time in the summer?

kbell216

Yes-the time will be made up. He has begun to travel more than two weeks of the month for business which is why the visitation will need to be only once a month for the next few months. His ex wife does not understand and only sees it as him not caring about the kids so we are worried that she will go to court for more money "for the kids".

brisgirl825

kbell216 said:
Yes-the time will be made up. He has begun to travel more than two weeks of the month for business which is why the visitation will need to be only once a month for the next few months. His ex wife does not understand and only sees it as him not caring about the kids so we are worried that she will go to court for more money "for the kids".

As long as he is making up the time, CS shouldn't go up, due to the visitation schedule. However, if it has been awhile since the order was made, it may be possible that she could get an increase, due to other factors.

nextwife

And if your CS is calculated based upon an income-share formula, and the CP is voluntarily unemployed, ask the court to imput an income to her based upon what she should be able to make.

kbell216 said:
What is the name of your state?Illinois
My husband currently sees his two kids twice a month on the weekend. If he were to approach his ex wife about making the visitation only once a month--what could that do to the amount of child support he pays her. She currently gets $1500 a month for the two kids---which is more than reasonable. I am seeking a 'heads up' about it before we attempt any negotiation.
Thank you
Illinois is only based on income not time spent with the children, so his support obligation will not go up. (unless they agreed to the amount based on time spent) But if the court determined the amount... it shouldn't change unless his income went up...........AND she petitions for an increase. I wouldn't count on the judge allowing you to make up time that you declined...It really depends on the judge......I wish I only had to see my ex once a month I would consider it a blessing :eek:

Support Ramifications

Hi,
In S.C.
child support and visitation is treated seperatly,no reduction of payments of child support is considered whether a defendent does or does not have visitation orders.
Whether a defendent is allowed visitation is irrelevant,unless the parents have shared custody,there is no allowance given as to the costs beared,even if the non-custodial parent has to travel to another state to visit with their child.

LdiJ

hittingrabbit said:
Hi,
In S.C.
child support and visitation is treated seperatly,no reduction of payments of child support is considered whether a defendent does or does not have visitation orders.
Whether a defendent is allowed visitation is irrelevant,unless the parents have shared custody,there is no allowance given as to the costs beared,even if the non-custodial parent has to travel to another state to visit with their child.
Actually that is not necessarily accurate. Each state calculates child support differently. Many states give credit for visitation periods and some give very signficant credits. Also, travel costs do sometimes get taken into consideration in child support orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">