• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beezmom

What is the name of your state? California
Help! My child support order states that I must pay support until my child is 18 or graduates high school to a maximum age of 19. My ex-wife is perpetuating her failure in high school in order to receive another year of support since my daughter will be 18 in April 04 and should graduate in june04.But someone told me that to keep the support going to 19 my daughter would have to be a full time student.She probably would not. She would just have to repeat a couple of courses.Does anyone have any info on the California laws on this subject and can myex-wife be held accountable for any of this?

VeronicaGia

Beezmom said:
What is the name of your state? California
Help! My child support order states that I must pay support until my child is 18 or graduates high school to a maximum age of 19. My ex-wife is perpetuating her failure in high school in order to receive another year of support since my daughter will be 18 in April 04 and should graduate in june04.

In June 2004, you should file to have support terminated. The CP will have to prove the child is still in school.

But someone told me that to keep the support going to 19 my daughter would have to be a full time student.She probably would not. She would just have to repeat a couple of courses.Does anyone have any info on the California laws on this subject and can myex-wife be held accountable for any of this?
**Once again, file to have the child emancipated. Make the ex prove the child will still have to be in full time school and for how long. Let a judge decide. I know support orders are high, but you're looking at another year and two months maximum. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

B

Beezmom

Thank you for the advice veronica! You are right there is FINALLY a light at the end of the tunnel. I would not mind continuing to support my daughter if she would just attend school and aknowledge me as her father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">