• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Judy Wilson

while living apart during the process of a divorce is the non residential spouse responsible for household bills in his name if the residential spouse is not working. new york state




I am not a lawyer but believe he is responsible, however, getting him to pay could be a problem. Suggest you have your lawyer file a support order, pending divorce, with the judge to obtain money to pay the bills. Otherwise, you risk having household utilities disconnected or the creditors also coming after you if they cannot get to him. If you don't have a lawyer, at least get a free consultation and get legal fees assigned to him, especially as he is engaging in this kind of irresponsible behavior. Good luck.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential