• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Witchy

Missouri.

I have a AKC female dog who is 3 years old. We live in the country on 2 acres. My dogs are good listeners and we never leave them out alone. They are active breeds that need a lot of time running to burn their energy. We don't have dog parks in our area.

I took my dogs out to use the restroom. My neighbor a few houses down has a intact male that she doesn't pay attention to. She doesn't know when he comes or goes. I even have messages of where she says... I don't know where he is... I saw him in the garage this morning but I don't know where he is now. Her dog is constantly coming onto the property. Digging into trash and other stuff. Coming onto the porch to scratch at our door. We try to chase him off but he still stays. We've considered breeding my 3 year old so we never had her spayed. He came onto the property while my dogs were outside and ran up to my 3 year old. He darted into the woods to encourage her to chase him. I yelled for her, but she was already eager to play. She disappeared before I could even reach her. She was in heat. She's a very shy dog so I was hoping she didn't do anything. I contacted the owner of the male and she wasn't able to help me look for the dogs. My 3 year old didn't make it home until 13 hours later. The neighbor didn't bother to help look for her like she said. She didn't even check to see of she made it home. I explained to her that we were considering to breed our girl but now it was possibly ruined because she didn't keep track of her dog. She ignored what I had to say. Now I'm pretty sure my female is pregnant, so she'll have mixed puppies. My only option to terminate the pregnancy was to spay her early on and we were not wanting to do that. Do I have a case here for vet bills...puppy care? Anything? We don't have animal control, I looked that up already. Since then the dog keeps coming onto the property and scratching at our door. He won't leave.

FlyingRon

You can certainly complain to the animal enforcement about them allowing their dog to run loose, however, you're not likely to get any relief for the fact that your dog, while left loose, followed theirs and did what came naturally. If this is a concern to you, you needed to have fenced or otherwise restrained your own pets.

You're not getting child support or whatever for the puppies. These are not humans.

Witchy

You can certainly complain to the animal enforcement about them allowing their dog to run loose, however, you're not likely to get any relief for the fact that your dog, while left loose, followed theirs and did what came naturally. If this is a concern to you, you needed to have fenced or otherwise restrained your own pets.

You're not getting child support or whatever for the puppies. These are not humans.
So there is nothing I can do about her dog constantly coming onto the property at least? We don't have any animal enforcement when it comes to cats or dogs. Seriously. Just livestock.

FlyingRon

Alas, no. Statewide, as long as the dog is vaccinated against rabies, you don't have much option if there is no local ordinance to support.

quincy

No, you have no legal recourse. Your dogs were as unrestrained as your neighbors' dogs.

Female dogs in heat need to be confined to prevent unwanted breeding as dogs in heat are male dog magnets.

Witchy

So I can't even trap the dog or nothing? Drop him off at a shelter? Not that I would, but it's ridiculous this county has nothing that can help outside of the fact my girl became pregnant. He comes even if she's not in heat.

quincy

So I can't even trap the dog or nothing? Drop him off at a shelter? Not that I would, but it's ridiculous this county has nothing that can help outside of the fact my girl became pregnant. He comes even if she's not in heat.
You can call your neighbor to let him know that you intend to take his dog to a shelter if the dog is not restrained. Your neighbor can do the same with your unrestrained dogs.

I suggest you both invest in fences before one or all of the dogs stray into the path of a car or get into a losing tussle with a wild animal.

Witchy

Mine is on a leash now always since this happened. She just doesn't get to run now. He still comes up to her even on the leash. I try to pull her away but he follows us all the way up the porch to the door. I rent so I'm not going to fence in 2 acres or even a small section.

quincy

Mine is on a leash now always since rhis happened. She just doesn't get to run now. He still comes up to her even on the leash. I try to pull her away but he follows us all the way up the porch to the door. I rent so I'm not going to fence in 2 acres or even a small section.
A leash is good.

If the neighbor's dog follows you and your leashed dog, call your neighbor to retrieve their dog or call the police non emergency number to report a nuisance.

Just Blue

Mine is on a leash now always since this happened. She just doesn't get to run now. He still comes up to her even on the leash. I try to pull her away but he follows us all the way up the porch to the door. I rent so I'm not going to fence in 2 acres or even a small section.
Move. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">