• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surrendering Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state?

My state is Utah.

My husband was recently contacted to undergo a paternity test for a child that is now 7 years old. He was never told about the child until now. He took the test and it was positive. The only reason he was contacted at all, is that the mother is trying to get state aid for the child and they have now come to him for child support. Is it possible for him to surrender his parental rights to this child that he never even knew exsisted?


Senior Member
Probably not. Even if he did, he would probably still have to pay support unless he can show why it's in the best interest in the child not to.

You can go to this website to see statutes at a glance concerning terminating parental rights.

If he is interested in getting to know his child, doesn't sound like it, but just in case, he can always fight for visitation and custody.


The court will not normally terminate a father's rights unless there is another man willing to adopt the child. Usually a stepfather.



ok, now what does the law say about giving up parental rights if the one requesting it is the mother? And the Father is remarried?


Senior Member
The law is the law and it still applies no matter what the situation is. The website I gave before tells you what grounds parental rights can be terminated under. It has the laws to all 50 states. It doesn't matter if the person is remarried, single or whatever.

Here's another site you can go to to look up the laws.



Junior Member
Rights Of Parentage


Can I Sign Over Rights To Parentage If Mother Wants Me To Do So? And If So What Does That Mean? Do I Continue To Pay Arrears, And Actual Child Support? Would Love Some Advice On This!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential