• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

survivor ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?My parents own a house in Brooklyn, New York. The original deed has my father, mother, brother, and my names on it. When I got married, I took my name out by filing a NYBTU form 8002 - 2.7.3. The first party in the form 8002 reads: John Doe and Jane Doe, his wife, both residing in xxxxx and A Doe (me) and B Doe (my brother). The second party in the form reads: John Doe and Jane Doe, his wife, both residing in xxxxx receive 2/3 fee owner interest and B Doe (my brother) receive 1/3 fee owner interest. In addition, there is a statement that says "to have and to hold the premises herein granted unto the party of the second part, the heirs or successors and assigns of the party of the second part forever"

My parents want to know the following:
1. if my father passes away, will my mother and brother each have 1/2 share of the house, or will it depend on what my father's will says?
2. if both my parents pass away, will my brother get the whole house or will the house be divided according to my parents wills?


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential