• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

survivors benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chelseatigger

My question is concerning survivors benefits from Social Security. If a child is receiving this benefit from a mother dieing, and then the father remarries, will the benefit stop if the new mother legally adopts the child?

S

Shakeme

survivor payments

I would think so since things like the age of meturity,wether or not the child is in school and marital status affect the payments

J

jimmy40

I would think you'd still receive them if she was your natural mother. If you're stepmom adopts you that's a different story. Call your local Social Security department in your town. They can tell you the real story. Don't depend on this board to give you advice on this subject. Your answer is only a phone call away.

Not a lawyer, just an observer of the boards.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">