• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspected skimming

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baryfan

South Carolina

I recently was fired from a locally owned "family" restaurant....supposedly for taking a notice down off the bulletin board and throwing it away. However......all that day I had been asking other employees about the "shortages" that are taken out off our pay if we are on a cash register. I also asked on the the owners, who said they also wanted to know why huge shortages were coming up. Now, some shortages are to be expected, but the last few months have had $88.00 from mine....$150.00 from a woman who has been there 40+ years, as well as $50.00 from the sister of the owners, who has worked many years on the register. When our cash drawers are counted at the end of our shift, the owner takes them into the office and we never really know if they are telling the truth about these shortages or not. Others have also been "short" for smaller amounts, from $10.00 to $40.00. They also have all kinds of cameras to watch the employees.So, after asking all these questions that day, I was fired as described initially. I want to know how I can find out if these people are stealing from their own employees? SC DOL doesn't do anything....neither will the local investigative TV reporter. What are any other options?

Beth3

I want to know how I can find out if these people are stealing from their own employees? SC DOL doesn't do anything What do you mean the SC DOL doesn't do anything? Have you filed a complaint with them for the very likely unlawful deductions from your paycheck for the cash shortages?

baryfan

I asked someone at the SC DOL what could be done and their response was that as long as it was posted somewhere that shortages will be taken out of paychecks, that's all they need to do. I mean, come on!!!!!!:mad::mad:It seems like no recourse and they can get away with stealing from employees....and they KNOW it.

pattytx

It doesn't appear that SC requires the employee specifically authorize the deduction. I would note that SC is in the minority when it comes to having (or not having) this requirement.

State law requires an employer of five or more employees to notify each employee in writing at the time of hiring of the wages agreed upon, the time and place of payment, and the deductions which will be made from wages,
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation

baryfan

I'm really more interested in how to pursue the fact that this owner is telling us there were "shortages" and had no way of know if that was true or not, or if he was taking money while counting it and blaming the cashier. Attorney General perhaps?? I mean....stealing isn't right...especially from your own people(workers), but he knows he can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">