• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RMM34667

CALIFORNIA

I lived in California 8 years ago. I received a ticket, however soon after moved out of state. And the ticket was never paid. I only have vague memory of the incident as it was 10 days before my wedding, but I think the offense was my registration had expired the month before.

Now I wanted to get a license in FL and learn I can't because my license is suspended in CA.

I called CA to see how I could resolve the issue. They told me to write a letter. I wrote a letter to the court. After what I thought was a reasonable amount of time I called again asking how to verify they got my letter. I was told the letter was received and they sent a response saying I could resolve if I pay a certain amount by a certain date. That date had passed. I learned the letter was sent to the address I haven't lived at for 8 years. I tried to get them to extend the time and send the letter to the address I had provided in FL. Nope they will not. They said I must appear in court.

Traveling across country is not an option, does any one know how I can get this resolved. Of course I realize I need to pay fines and whatever they want. But it seems they don't want to accept anything. If they made the offer in the first place (but sent the letter to an out of date address) why not allow me to do that now.

And before everyone jumps all over me. Yeah I got the ticket, Yeah I never paid it, all MY FAULT. But do I need to spend the rest of my life taking public transportation??? I want to make amends for my crimes now. Even the worst offenders get to do their time and move on. I really need my license.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

I suggest you hire a lawyer from California; preferably one who has an office across the street from the courthouse where the case is.

Will this work?

I don't know, but you wanted an alternative to travel.

RMM34667

OK so you are saying I need a lawyer. I just went to FIND A LAWYER NOW but I'm unsure of the catagory. Should I look for a CRIMINAL ATTORNEY or are there such things as a TRAFFIC ATTORNEY.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">