• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended Registration on Car that is not registered to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RDP062

I was pulled over two weeks ago for having a suspended registration on the car that I was driving. The car's registration and title is in the name of my cousin who just recently failed the driver's exam. The state suspended his license and all the vehicles registered to him. We haven't spoken in years and I had no idea that the registration was suspended. Now, I have to go to court and plead my case. What do you think my chances are of just getting off with a monetary fine in this matter since I had no idea the registration was suspended. My cousin is in his early 70s and I believe he must have had an accident and the insurance company required him to be retested but I am not sure. I forgot to state in the message that I am a New Jersey resident.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

How to address it, as Harcourt points out is very state dependent. Of course, it is incumbent on you as the operator of the vehicle to make sure it is registered and insured. Why are you driving someone's car that you've not spoken to in years?

Just Blue

I was pulled over two weeks ago for having a suspended registration on the car that I was driving. The car's registration and title is in the name of my cousin who just recently failed the driver's exam. The state suspended his license and all the vehicles registered to him. We haven't spoken in years and I had no idea that the registration was suspended. Now, I have to go to court and plead my case. What do you think my chances are of just getting off with a monetary fine in this matter since I had no idea the registration was suspended. My cousin is in his early 70s and I believe he must have had an accident and the insurance company required him to be retested but I am not sure.
Did you have permission to drive the car? Who did you get the car from?

LdiJ

I was pulled over two weeks ago for having a suspended registration on the car that I was driving. The car's registration and title is in the name of my cousin who just recently failed the driver's exam. The state suspended his license and all the vehicles registered to him. We haven't spoken in years and I had no idea that the registration was suspended. Now, I have to go to court and plead my case. What do you think my chances are of just getting off with a monetary fine in this matter since I had no idea the registration was suspended. My cousin is in his early 70s and I believe he must have had an accident and the insurance company required him to be retested but I am not sure.
I am confused. You state that you were driving a car registered to your cousin but that you haven't spoken to your cousin in years. How is this possible? How did you come to be driving a car that is registered to someone that you haven't spoken to in years?

Just Blue

Interestingly OP was here after all but Jack's comment were posted and didn't answer the question(s) all of us asked.

I am confused. You state that you were driving a car registered to your cousin but that you haven't spoken to your cousin in years. How is this possible? How did you come to be driving a car that is registered to someone that you haven't spoken to in years?
Can a vehicle be insured in NJ if the registration has been suspended?

FlyingRon

Can a vehicle be insured in NJ if the registration has been suspended?
Don't see why not. It's a prerequisite to registration I'm pretty sure, so you'd have a chicken and egg problem otherwise.
Further, if he was a regular driver of the car and not on the policy, the insurance likely isn't covering him anyhow.
I suspect highly that the poster has been breaking the law long before the current registration snafu.

Don't see why not. It's a prerequisite to registration I'm pretty sure, so you'd have a chicken and egg problem otherwise.
Further, if he was a regular driver of the car and not on the policy, the insurance likely isn't covering him anyhow.
I suspect highly that the poster has been breaking the law long before the current registration snafu.
It's just that from personal knowledge as a former cop, that the DMV of most, if not all states, have a shared database as to who has valid insurance.
But I agree there's something dodgy about the OP's question regarding just being fined for driving a car with a suspended registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">