• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended Without Pay to Get Counselling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bsk87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was recently "given the week off" in order to "get help with anger issues." Not notified until the night of the new work week, which I usually work, when I showed up. Told the owner if he wanted me to go to counselling, he should pay for it. He told me it is based on pay so it wouldn't be much and I could pay. It's an hourly job with no benefits. Is he required to pay for said counselling and can I do anything to get my lost wages back?

eerelations

All of this is perfectly legal. Your boss has not broken any employment laws, ergo you have no legal recourse. Your boss is not forcing you to go to counseling, he is saying you cannot keep your job if you don't go to counseling. As a result, your boss is not required to pay for said counseling.

On a side note, posting this issue three times in the same forum sure smacks of anger problems to me!

Last edited:

Beth3

Is he required to pay for said counselling and can I do anything to get my lost wages back?

No and no.

bsk87

Thank you for the replies. Excuse me for posting it 3 times, I wasn't sure which heading it belonged under.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">