• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Swallowing difficulties" and fatal aspiration pneumonia following pacemaker insertion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashore

What is the name of your state? New York
My father-in-law developed what was described to us as "swallowing difficulties" after a pacemaker insertion. He then developed aspiration pneumonia and died 6 days later. I don't see swallowing difficulties or aspiration pneumonia as risks of pacemaker surgery. I suspect over-sedation. Would be grateful for any comments or advice. Thank you.

PayrollHRGuy

At this point this isn't a legal or malpractice issue. Surgery is dangerous. That is why they require all those forms to be signed.

quincy

My father-in-law developed what was described to us as "swallowing difficulties" after a pacemaker insertion. He then developed aspiration pneumonia and died 6 days later. I don't see swallowing difficulties or aspiration pneumonia as risks of pacemaker surgery. I suspect over-sedation. Would be grateful for any comments or advice. Thank you.
The only way to determine if your father-in-law's death could be the result of medical malpractice would be to have his medical records reviewed.

I am sorry for your loss.

Gm4

Why waste ur time here. Get 3 free consultations with med-mal attys with proven track records. If they take the case ur case is good bcuz u pay nothing. They split the settlement. Sounds like no one suctioned him.

quincy

... Get 3 free consultations with med-mal attys with proven track records. If they take the case ur case is good bcuz u pay nothing. They split the settlement. Sounds like no one suctioned him.
There is also a statute of limitations to keep in mind. In New York, a medical malpractice claim must be filed within 2 1/2 years of the date the malpractice is said to have occurred.

(advice sounds better if it is not delivered in text speak ;))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">