• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Swapping license plates between trailers, seems to be loophole

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chedlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

A few weeks ago I was grumbling about the $60/year registration fee for the trailer I have my sunfish on. It's about 300 lbs gross (title says 500) and live 3 miles from the lake I where I will use it. I might go 3-4 times on a good summer.

I also have a camper trailer, but it is also under 4500 lb gross so not subject to inspection. I already have 2600 miles on it and I've owned it 6 weeks. No complaints here, I will keep it registered, at least when it's going to be used on the road.

A friend/neighbor or family member suggested I swap the plate over to the boat instead of chancing expired registration (although i renewed it this morning while I could honestly claim I hadn't had it on the road in the last 3 years since it expired. 20 year old tires don't hold air, but replacement tire/wheel assemblies are only $27/each). My response was that it sounded like I would get the book thrown at me, and I would be better off chancing expiration and just renewing every 3 years ish..

But I got curious and decided to see which one really would have the higher penalty, since expired registration could possibly force me to register in arrears.

Sec. 502.475. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a registration insignia that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect; or
(4) is fictitious.

That chapter of the code defines motor vehicle as "self propelled", clearly not a trailer. Does this mean swapping plates between trailers was overlooked, or am I overlooking the actual law?

----Edited to add----
Expired registration and swapping the plates are both Class C misdemeanor and even the maximum of a $200 fine under 502.475 (plus I assume $100 in court cost) isn't going to break the bank.

Operating it with an expired plate isn't as expensive as I thought, so now I regret renewing it this AM. The most I would be on the hook for is a new 12 month registration that doesn't change the month (Expiring April 30th may work well for me here), + 20% ($12) + $20 fee to the court. But if I can just use one trailer plate I can get by even cheaper. And who doesn't want the best deal whether they can afford it or not?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You may want to be more careful looking through the vehicle code. In many states (like NY) a trailer is considered a motor vehicle for certain purposes and it's not specified in the definition of "motor vehicle" - it's in a separate statute dealing with registrations and inspections.

Don't assume everything is so cut and dried.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/TN/htm/TN.501.htm :

...(17) "Motor vehicle" means:
(A) any motor driven or propelled vehicle required to be registered under the laws of this state;
(B) a trailer or semitrailer, other than manufactured housing, that has a gross vehicle weight that exceeds 4,000 pounds;
(C) a travel trailer;

Furthermore, once you move the plate from one vehicle to another, it could be argued that the plate is fictitious, since it wasn't assigned to that vehicle.

chedlin

Thanks. I appreciate the responses, and I wouldn't have posted here if I were confident enough to just do it. However, now that I see how cheap expired registration on the trailer is, I probably still won't renew it every year.

chedlin

From http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/TN/htm/TN.501.htm :

...(17) "Motor vehicle" means:
(A) any motor driven or propelled vehicle required to be registered under the laws of this state;
(B) a trailer or semitrailer, other than manufactured housing, that has a gross vehicle weight that exceeds 4,000 pounds;
(C) a travel trailer;

Furthermore, once you move the plate from one vehicle to another, it could be argued that the plate is fictitious, since it wasn't assigned to that vehicle.
I guess they would get me under A, since it has to be registered but the registered gross weight is 500 pounds, and it's not a travel trailer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">