• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Switching insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

y_ram

What is the name of your state? ca

A few months ago my wife lost her job and was forced to cancel her health insurance that was covering our whole family. Now, I've gone and signed up for health insurance with my company but it's much more expensive. However, now my wife has found a new job and the same health benefits are being offered to her at a much better deal. Is there any way I can cancel my current health insurance and switch to hers? Normally, they say I can only make changes to my health insurance plan once a year, during the enrollment period. But if I wait half a year to cancel my insurance, then we won't be able to buy my wife's insurace because that time will be half a year away from her enrollment period. I find it hard to believe that there's no way around it other than not having insurance for 6 months and that's why I'm wondering if anyone knows what other options I may have.

Thank you,
Yuriy

cmorris

There are certain "events" that can cause a change in insurance. With my health insurance, this would be one of them. You do, however, have to provide proof of the new insurance. Do you have your handbook of benefits? It should explain it in there. If not, call and find out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is your portion of the health insurance premium taken out of your check pre-tax or post tax? It makes a difference.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When your portion of the insurance premium is taken from your paycheck pre-tax, Federal law limits when you are able to make changes to your insurance plan to either during your annual open enrollment period or within 30 days of a qualifying event as defined by the statute. If YOUR rates had gone UP significantly, that would be a qualifying event, but your wife suddenly becoming eligible for cheaper insurance is something I'm going to have to double check on.

In any case, this is not just your employer being obstructionist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">