• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tacing Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cprmik

My father past away in October of 2001. About five years ago my father and I discussed his life insurance and that I was a benificiary, the problem is he never told me who it was through. I am having trouble tring to find out the information I need because my stepmother will not give me any information, she insests that he had none. How do I go about finding out what I need to know.

Thanks,
Michael

ALawyer

Finding life insurance policies or annuities outstanding is not always easy, as there is no "central registry". It is even more difficult when the surviving spouse is not being cooperative, and perhaps angry and/or greedy.

Here are some techniques to use:

1. Go through all the papers of the deceased to see if the actual policy, or any forms or correspondence related to an insurance policy or annuity turns up. If the spouse will not cooperate it may be necessary to get a court order -- perhaps in the probate proceeding if there is one, or if not in another court -- allowing you -- or another person that the judge may select (if she raises the issue of confidentiality) -- to examine the papers before she throws them out.

2. Go through the checkbook of the deceased for as many years back as possible looking for premium payments made to an insurance company. (But some policies may heve been paid up, so there would be no checks for premium.)

3. If the deceased was employed, inquire at hir or her firm about any Group Life Insurance that it carried for the deceased. Many larger employers provide paid up group life to retirees.

4. Did the deceased belong to any association or clubs or fraternal organization that may have sponsored or otherwise provided life insurance programs? For example, such diverse organizations as AARP, Knights of Columbus, Rotary, Lutheran Brotherhood, etc. try to market insurance to members. Contact the organization and ask what companies they sponsored.

5. Ask friends and neighbors if the deceased ever mentioned life insurance, or an insurance agent, and if so what company or agent.

6. If you have any lead or clue, write to the home office of the insurance company with as much information as possible, including the name, date of birth, social security number, and all known past addresses.

7. If you find nothing, it may be worthwhile to write to the top 10 or 20 life insurance companies with the same information; the major life companies (MetLife, Prudential, John Hancock, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, Equitable, MassMutual, Transamerica, Travelers, Principal, Allstate, State Farm, Mutual of Omaha, Guardian) wrote over 50% of all life insurance sold some years back when the policy likely would have been bought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">