• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Take my blood too!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ernbar

Phila. Pa. About 4 years ago I got a 100 k- term life ins policy. at that time I was just quiting smoking and all they did was a urine test. Now the they came up with a new universal life policy to replace the old one and I told them that I would give them a urine sample but they would now like a blood and urine sample to check just for nicotine. Are they legally allowed to now ask for the both samples just for a nicotine check now. If not what should I do?

ALawyer

I don't know how the agent convinced you to take a relatively expensive UL policy in place of the Term, but why switch at all, UNLESS the Term was only for 4-5 years. In that case, why not take out a new Term policy? AS rates have dropped, even though you are older, the price should be even less, absent any change in health or resumption of smoking (which doubles the risk of premature death).

Requiring tests on "conversion" or an "exhange offer" (if that is what it is) with the SAME company is relatively rare -- usually the insurance company takes you under the same terms and classifications as they originally underwrote you so long as the face amount is the same.

But they need not do so, and could presumably - if the old or a new company with a scheme to sell universal life -- would be their option to do full or limited underwriting on a new policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">