• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taken for a ride in a RAV4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ann2000

What is the name of your state? NJ

I purchased a new car and my mom was going on the loan as a co-signer. They had the APR on the contract and the finance mgr worked out the exact amount of the payment and wrote it on the contract as well. They had my mom and me at that dealership for nearly 5 HOURS between waiting, figuring the amount of my trade-in etc.) My mother had to leave before me because she had a prior engagement (didn't think we would be at the dealership for 5 hours) so they asked her to sign her part of the paperwork before she left, then they would go over everything with me and I'd sign my part. She signed everything but missed one spot on one of the forms and it wasn't caught until after she was gone. She couldn't be back until after closing and this was a saturday and the dealership is closed on sunday. They said it's no problem, they'll have her sign it on the earliest day she could get to the dealership (whis was to be today). Nonetheless, after I signed everything, they called it a done deal, handed me the keys and I took the car home. Today the finance mgr calls me and tells me the bank won't accept the loan under my name and the car must be put under my mother's name alone (I can't even co-sign). I thought the deal was done!! I have been driving the car for the past 4 days. I'm ready to tell them to take the car back as is. I don't want the car in her name solely because insurance and registration would have to follow suit. It would be easier for me to pay insurance, etc in my name. Do I have to do what they say or can I tell them to take the car back?

Thank you for any help!

Anna D

BlondiePB

Please read information under Racehorse 45 thread. If your mother and yourself do not want the arrangements that the financial institution desires for the car, bring the car back to the dealer, give them the keys, and have them refund any down payment. Keep in mind that this may be indicative of what you will encounter at other dealerships except for the "Buy Here - Pay Here" lots.

A

Ann2000

Thank you, BlondiePB!

So I take it that the dealership must take the car back unless I can get alternate financing?

Thanks again!

Anna D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">