• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax deduction on medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d_law

What is the name of your state?NY

Hi

Can we apply tax deductions on medicall expenses that is not covered by the
insurance . I might have to spend around $5000 out of my pocket for some medical procedure.

Please advise if anyone knows abt this

Thanks

Sam111

You can claim qualified medical expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A. It is allowed to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

d_law

Sam111 said:
You can claim qualified medical expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A. It is allowed to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Thanks for the answer

7.5% of gross income on medical bills or for doing itemized deduction?

Sam111

Example:
Adjusted gross income 50,000

Qualified medical expenses 5,000 - 3,750 (7.5% of AGI) = 1,250 allowable

In addition, your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to even claim this.

d_law

Sam111 said:
Example:
Adjusted gross income 50,000

Qualified medical expenses 5,000 - 3,750 (7.5% of AGI) = 1,250 allowable

In addition, your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to even claim this.

Thanks

so if my salary is more around 70k , i cannot use this
Is that right??

Sam111

That's right.

Edit: Your adjusted gross income. Not your salary, since you may have adjustments or losses to come to the AGI.

Last edited:

d_law

Sam111 said:
That's right.

Edit: Your adjusted gross income. Not your salary, since you may have adjustments or losses to come to the AGI.
Sam111

Thanks for helping me out here , how do we calculate the gross income?

My company is providing Flexible spending account to accomodate this kind of things , but if I dont use it I will loose all the money. In my case I will not be sure If have to do this the next yr

abezon

If you pay for the expense with a flex spending account, you can't deduct the expense on schedule A. This is because the money was never included in your w-2 income anyway. That's why flex spending accounts are great.

You can handle extra year-end money in flex accounts by pre-paying medical expenses for the next year in December. For example, you could pre-pay the full price of the braces or pre-pay the chiropractor/therapist.

Another possibility is to split the $5000 over 2 tax years -- pay part in 2005 & part in 2006. You could set up the flex spending in January. If you'll know by August whether you'll need the procedure, you can either pre-pay part of it or stop paying into your flex account in August & just spend the accumulated money over the rest of the year.

d_law

abezon said:
If you pay for the expense with a flex spending account, you can't deduct the expense on schedule A. This is because the money was never included in your w-2 income anyway. That's why flex spending accounts are great.

You can handle extra year-end money in flex accounts by pre-paying medical expenses for the next year in December. For example, you could pre-pay the full price of the braces or pre-pay the chiropractor/therapist.

Another possibility is to split the $5000 over 2 tax years -- pay part in 2005 & part in 2006. You could set up the flex spending in January. If you'll know by August whether you'll need the procedure, you can either pre-pay part of it or stop paying into your flex account in August & just spend the accumulated money over the rest of the year.
abezon and Sam111

Thanks for your inputs. We got a mail from our HR last week saying that if the expenses are more than 7.5% of your gross income, we can apply for tax exemption.

abezon.
The confusion I have is about when the procedure will happen. If everthing works out well , we dont have to do this , if not doctor will recommend. I checked with them again and it can cost anywhere upto $8000. The flexible spending allows up to 5000 , But like u said if I dont have to use it it will be gone

abezon

Get the doctor to split the fee over 2 years, so you pay $5000 in year 1 & $3000 in year 2. Obviously, this will require some long-term planning between you & the doc & the HR department.

d_law

abezon said:

abezon

I was reading your posts again , Got a question about the following option u told me

"
If you'll know by August whether you'll need the procedure, you can either pre-pay part of it or stop paying into your flex account in August & just spend the accumulated money over the rest of the year."

I was talking to someone in HR and they were saying that once I signup for this , I cannot make any changes until the end of the year,

How can I stop paying to flex account then?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">