• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

uplinck

I have personally paid debts of an S- Corp. that i was president of and that was Chapter 7 Bankrupt in 2000 are these deductable from my personal income this year?

L

loku

Corporate expenses

I’m afraid it does not look good for you. To deduct the expense, you must show it is ordinary and necessary to your employment. The cases, I found held that similar situations were not ordinary and necessary. But this is by no means cut and dry. If you have a significant amount at stake, I suggest you hire a CPA to determine if this is deductible.

The case of Eugene F. Grossman v. Commissioner Docket No. 5565-70, 33 TCM 1213, TC Memo. 1974-269, Filed October 15, 1974 gives the general rule, and also the closest set of facts to yours that I could find:

The case of Deputy v. Dupont, 308 U. S. 488 (1940), enunciated the general principle that expenses of a corporation paid by a shareholder are not ordinary and necessary expenses of the shareholder, but rather ordinary and necessary expenses of the corporation. The decision in Dupont requires that the expenditures proximately result from the trade or business of the taxpayer in order to be deductible by him. The expenditures petitioner made on behalf of the corporation did not result from any business activity of his own but instead directly resulted from the business operation of Argentum itself. Although petitioner spent time on the affairs of the corporation and paid the corporation's expenses from his own funds, the expenses he paid were those of the corporation.

As for deducting the expense as an investment expense, the case provides: Under the provisions of section 212 (ivestment expense) as under those of section 162 (business expense), an expense to be deductible must be "ordinary and necessary" and "personal to the taxpayer" as well as "immediately related to his own income or property." Harry Kahn, 26 T. C. 273, 275 (1956). Bert B. Rand, 35 T. C. 956, 961 (1961).

C

chazersize

Losses in a S-Corp

Loku,

I thought that an S-Corp's profits (gains)and losses were attributable to the owners (shareholders) and therefore a bankruptcy would be part of that. In the case you cite, is DuPont an S-Corporation? I'm totally ignorant here, but curious.

Chaz

L

loku

S corp bankruptcy

I could find no cases allowing the deduction to a shareholder, who was not a guarantor; however, here is a theory you might consider:

Since the debt was a debt of the corporation, your payment was the payment of the debt by the corporation; therefore, the corporation can deduct the payment to the same extent that it could if it made the payment. (If the corporation is on the accrual basis with respect to such obligations, it may have already deducted the expense.). You would treat your payment as a contribution to capital of the corporation. The deduction, if the corporation does get one, would flow through to you as an increase in the corporate loss.

Since the above theory is just that, I would suggest that you double check this with your own tax professional. If you do not, then I suggest you add an attachment to the return disclosing the nature of the transaction. That way, you would not be subject to any penalties for taking the deduction is it is not allowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">