• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Deed Auction and Occupant Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darren43

What is the name of your state? FL

My wife and I are considering placing a bid at a tax deed auction in Jacksonville, FL. If we win the bid (on a house) we will obtain the deed to the property which gives full ownership (no redemption period). I have two questions:

1) If the house is still occupied, what legal obstacles must be overcome to force the previous owner to vacate, and how time consuming / expensive could this be ?

2) Our lender has advised us to have a "quiet title lawsuit" transaction, in which a judge enters an order that states that we own the property free and clear (it eliminates prior liens). Is anyone familiar with this ? I'm still somewhat of a novice, and have not heard of this before. Thanks very much in advance for any answers that you can provide.

HomeGuru

darren43 said:
What is the name of your state? FL

My wife and I are considering placing a bid at a tax deed auction in Jacksonville, FL. If we win the bid (on a house) we will obtain the deed to the property which gives full ownership (no redemption period). I have two questions:

1) If the house is still occupied, what legal obstacles must be overcome to force the previous owner to vacate, and how time consuming / expensive could this be ?

**A: first ask the Trustee/Sheriff to order the tenants to vacate prior to closing. To answer your question, you must hire an attorney to file eviction.

2) Our lender has advised us to have a "quiet title lawsuit" transaction, in which a judge enters an order that states that we own the property free and clear (it eliminates prior liens). Is anyone familiar with this ? I'm still somewhat of a novice, and have not heard of this before. Thanks very much in advance for any answers that you can provide.

**A: this is not needed since the deed is supposed to be given to you with the property "free and clear".
Anyway, such quiet title action in no way is action to evict the tenants.

D

darren43

Thanks HomeGuru - one followup question

If I hire an attorney for the eviction, do you have any idea how long the process of eviction could potentially take if the occupant doesn't want to leave. In other words, could Florida law favor the occupant to such an extent that making them leave could turn into a protracted process ?

HomeGuru

Re: Thanks HomeGuru - one followup question

darren43 said:
If I hire an attorney for the eviction, do you have any idea how long the process of eviction could potentially take if the occupant doesn't want to leave. In other words, could Florida law favor the occupant to such an extent that making them leave could turn into a protracted process ?

**A: I would guess 1-2 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">