• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax help!!! Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Ohio

O.K.'d I hope this doesn't confuse anyone,But I like a second opion.
My ex walked out on me and my son in November of 2003. I stayed in our house in 2004 and tords the end of 2004 moved to my dad's house so my ex could sell his house. We went to court and all that and the judge granted my ex the ability to claim my son on his taxes every year. I do not agree with this and don't know how to change it. my lawyer wont help me do anything and didn't help me do anything through my divorce. my ex hasn't paid child support at all sense he left nor has given me a cent to help tords his son. He only gets him every other weekend and not even that at times. I feel I should file my son on my taxes sense I am the one who is supporting him 90% of the time and he lives with me 90% of the time. I asked someone on another chat room and they said I should be able to file head of house hold and earned income credit. (I only made 8,000 this year)
I was a stay at home mom who worked part time and still dose.
can I do this and if I do what would happen if my ex tried to claim head of house hold also? I also lived with my dad part of 2004 can I still claim this.
I have never done taxes before we have always had an accountant and thanks to my ex I don't get that privilege this year.
thanks again


Senior Member
You can file as head of household if you paid over 1/2 the cost of keeping up your home. If you only made $8000, you don't need to claim your son to get the maximum refund -- your refund will consist of earned income credit and any income taxes you had withheld from your paycheck.

You can't stop your ex from claiming your son. Your only hope is to ask the court to modify the order so that he can only claim the boy if his child support is paid in full as of 12/31. If you apply for state assitance, the state will probably take over collecting the support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential