• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in New York state and have been working under the table, I want to know what is the best way to file federal and state taxes on these wages? Do I file a schedule C? And to do this do I need a 1099 from the person who was paying me or do I file self employed? Any info or advice would be helpful. All payments I was given were cash not checks, but I kept a record on the calender if this makes a difference. I also kept receipts for gas and repairs, expenses, etc. If anyone has had this experience or any advice thanks!!!!


Senior Member
Probably file a schedule C & claim all expenses. I suggest a tax pro, as you may want to file the income as wages & the 'tax on tips' form (4000-something).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential