• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax liens on business HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New Jersey

the state came and locked us out of our shop about two weeks ago, saying we owe 30,000 in taxes. we didnt pay from 1998. I know it is wrong and i admit is is wrong and we learned our lesson the hard way so please no rude comments. well the state tax guy says he is not taking any deals any payments nothing. he wants the full amount. we do not owe 30,000 at all. I have an accountant working on all of the paperwork so i know its not even close to that amount. they said they wanted two quarters up front before they would even consider making a deal. so we told them we would pay 5,000 right up front to get our doors back open and 2,000 a month to pay the rest off, which is more than what they said they wanted. then they pull their deal off the table. are they allowed to do that? and i was reading on the web that if you couldnt work a deal out with the tax guy then you could request someone else is that true? i just want to clear this up, i have learned to do the right thing and from what i hear i am not the only one who didnt pay their taxes but i need to know what i can do to get my business back open. i do not have 30,000 to just hand over to them if i did i would have paid my taxes to begin with. this is a small family run business. is there anything i can do??? please help


Senior Member
You need a tax attorney who does lots of work with your state tax laws. What you can do will depend on the administrative rules for your State Revenue Department.


So the first thing to do is to get the accountant to determine what you should owe, and submit his/her forms to the tax agent. After the amount owed is determined, then there would be a reasonable basis for negotiating terms.

However, if you can afford one, a CPA or tax attorney could probable help you speed up the process and get those doors open.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential