• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax refund & Chapter 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

threebugs

What is the name of your state? LA

I wanted to know about my tax refund. I do not work but my husband does. He did not file Chapter 7 with me, I filed alone. Will they still take the tax refund we get even though I do not work and he is not filing bankruptcy?

Ladynred

Do you file your taxes as joint ?
It may be possible the Trustee may want some percentage, but then again, he may not bother with it at all. Its also likely that if its not over 2K, the Trustee won't take it.

T

threebugs

Thank you. I have another question. The trustee has asked me to bring my last federal tax return with me to the 341 meeting. I can not find it. I had it saved to a disk and seemed to have mis- placed it. I have requested a transcipt from the IRS, but I do not know if this will be okay or not.
Also, would it matter if we filed our taxes seperate? I do not know if I can do that since I do not work, therefore have no income to report.
THank you again for your help.

Ladynred

If you have no income to report, then there's no reason for your name to even be ON a tax return ! No income - no return necessary. Yes, you could file separately, but, as I said.. there is no reason for you to even do so.

A copy of the return from the IRS IS acceptable, but keep trying to find the return just in case the IRS copy doesn't make it in time.

T

threebugs

Thank you. I am just full of questions.

When I filed bankruptcy we were living with my parents until we got a new place to live. We have found one and will be moving right after the 341 meeting. Our address will change as well as our expenses, will this matter? Do I need to tell the trustee?

Ladynred

The bankruptcy you filed is a snapshot of your situation on the day you filed. Anything after that date should not be a problem, but if the Trustee asks if anything has changed, tell him/her the facts. Since you'll be paying rent, your expenses would go up, rather than down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">