• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax refunds After BK 7 - Filed in Summer of 2004 & Discharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whoisonfirst

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband and I filed no asset Ch. 7 in July 2004. Discharged November 2004. Case is closed.

At our 341, our trustee inquired about the tax refund we had received in that year - the one we filed in 2004, for income earned in 2003. We had used our tax refund to pay for our attorney, and she was fine with that. She did not ask about future tax refunds. Our 341 was in August 2004, so tax returns for 2004 were still many, many months away.

We filed our tax returns this March, and we received our refunds today via direct deposit. State & federal combined total about $550.

Since we never received notice that we would need to pay the trustee the refunds for this year, and since we filed way back last summer, are we free to keep these? We have never received any communication from our trustee about them, and our case is closed. Like I said, the only refunds she asked about were the ones we received last year, which we used to retain our attorney.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">