• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissEgirl

I live in New Jersey and have filed my income tax return already. Once you file is ther anyway to stop the return you already filed? My husband and I filed together but now we are splitting up and all the money from the return is mine. If he would have filed alone he would have to pay. Is there anything I can do?

T

Taxguy

At the end of th eyear 2000, you were "married". What happens in February 2001, does not affect that.
*IF* he agrees, you can both file amended returns for 2000, as "married, filing seperatly".

If he refuses, you are stuck. Sort out the $$ differences in divorce court.

However, I would caution you that it will most likely cost YOU more $$, as the tax rates are substntially higher, and deductions, exemptions and credits are limited.

Hire a CPA to do the calculations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">