• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TAX Transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanama1

Taxes have been Filed by the Husband. Taxes have been Filed Jointly -wife as Dependent.
What are the steps necessary to Obtain the Tax Accounts Transcripts of previous 3 years by the dependent (wife -in this case)?
Does she need the husband's ok?

quincy

There were no answers on the other thread at the time it was reported as a duplicate. Plus, the duplicate was incorrectly placed in the Family Archive section of the forum.

LdiJ

Well darn, I gave a really comprehensive answer on the other thread. Here I go again.

You are not a dependent on the tax return you are a joint filer. As a joint filer you have equal rights to the tax return, you do not need permission to get a transcript.

You can try to get a transcript online at irs.gov This does not work for everyone due to the requirements to do so, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to get a transcript. It is sometimes hard to get through using this method.

You can download form 4506T-EZ at irs.gov and fill it out and mail it in. It does have space for both spouse's signature but only one signature is required.

You can also call 1-844-545-5640 to make an appointment at your local IRS office. There is an interesting trick about using this method. You get through to a live person quite quickly. The live person is supposed to see if they can help you with something instead of having to actually make an appointment, and they will usually generate the transcript for you right there and then, so you don't actually have to go to the IRS office at all.

There is one thing that you need to be aware of using any of these methods. There are multiple kinds of transcripts so you have to be sure that you are being specific about the one that you want. In this instance, you want a Tax Return Transcript.

quincy

Well darn, I gave a really comprehensive answer on the other thread. Here I go again.

You are not a dependent on the tax return you are a joint filer. As a joint filer you have equal rights to the tax return, you do not need permission to get a transcript.

You can try to get a transcript online at irs.gov This does not work for everyone due to the requirements to do so, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to get a transcript. It is sometimes hard to get through using this method.

You can download form 4506T-EZ at irs.gov and fill it out and mail it in. It does have space for both spouse's signature but only one signature is required.

You can also call 1-844-545-5640 to make an appointment at your local IRS office. There is an interesting trick about using this method. You get through to a live person quite quickly. The live person is supposed to see if they can help you with something instead of having to actually make an appointment, and they will usually generate the transcript for you right there and then, so you don't actually have to go to the IRS office at all.

There is one thing that you need to be aware of using any of these methods. There are multiple kinds of transcripts so you have to be sure that you are being specific about the one that you want. In this instance, you want a Tax Return Transcript.
I saw no answer of any kind on the other thread at the time it was reported and deleted and, had there been any answer, it would have remained even with the original post reported ... but I am sure nanama1 appreciates your answer here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But apparently he DIDN'T file married filing jointly, and as a dependent she cannot get a copy of the transcript. I've seen it happen many times (spent 30 years doing federal student aid)
The OP stated the tax return was filed jointly. It's more likely that the OP is confused about her status as "dependent" vs "spouse".

davew9128

While it is TECHNICALLY possible for a married person to be claimed as an exemption on a return filed MFS by their spouse, in no instance will one spouse EVER be a tax dependent of the other.

LdiJ

While it is TECHNICALLY possible for a married person to be claimed as an exemption on a return filed MFS by their spouse, in no instance will one spouse EVER be a tax dependent of the other.
Except that there are no longer any exemptions...just saying;)

LdiJ

The OP stated the tax return was filed jointly. It's more likely that the OP is confused about her status as "dependent" vs "spouse".
People routinely think that if they are not working, that they are their spouse's dependent. I have to correct that thinking all the time. Just like I have to explain to the working spouse that they are NOT "head of household". For some people I even have to demonstrate to them how much lower their refund would be, or how much more they would owe, if they try to insist on a "head of household" filing status. Its an ego thing with them...if they are the one bringing all or most of the money then they should be given the title of "head of household" in their mind.

Back in the day, when it was necessary to read the instructions in order to file a tax return at all if you weren't a professional, people actually understood a little bit about taxes and particularly about filing statuses. Today, half of the people out there are clueless because nobody reads the instructions anymore.

I had somebody come in yesterday who had done a paper return, BY HAND no less, who got a letter from the IRS saying that it was all wrong...and it was. He clearly did not read the instructions and gave himself all kinds of things that he wasn't entitled to receive, including a 2000.00 child tax credit for an 18 year old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">