• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxable Value Increased due to Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmccauley

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My husbands family (mother, uncle & aunt) own a vacant property. The property is zoned agricultural by the USDA but is not being farmed. Recently my husbands mother passed away and he and his sister inherited her third of the property. Because their names were added to the property the taxes have sky rocketed. The assessor say that because the ownership of the property changed, even though it was not bought or sold, they don't have to cap the assessed value as stated in Proposal A (1994) and because it's not being farmed we aren't eliglible for the 7 year restriction on assessed value to agricultural property. It doesn't seem right that they can tax the property to the point we can't afford to keep it just because it was inherited. It especially doesn't seem fair to the 2 other property owners, my husbands uncle & aunt. I wondered if it was worth getting a real estate lawyer. Any thoughts?

HomeGuru

dmccauley said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
My husbands family (mother, uncle & aunt) own a vacant property. The property is zoned agricultural by the USDA but is not being farmed. Recently my husbands mother passed away and he and his sister inherited her third of the property. Because their names were added to the property the taxes have sky rocketed. The assessor say that because the ownership of the property changed, even though it was not bought or sold, they don't have to cap the assessed value as stated in Proposal A (1994) and because it's not being farmed we aren't eliglible for the 7 year restriction on assessed value to agricultural property. It doesn't seem right that they can tax the property to the point we can't afford to keep it just because it was inherited. It especially doesn't seem fair to the 2 other property owners, my husbands uncle & aunt. I wondered if it was worth getting a real estate lawyer. Any thoughts?
**A: possibly. The property is being taxed at a higher amount do the the use (or int his case, non-use) There may be appeal/waiver procedures. Do more investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">