• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes on inherited properties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?W.V. My father passed away in March 2005. He left everything in a will to my brother. We live in MA., the will was made up in R.I., and the properties my brother received are in W.V. The estimated value on the properties, according to the city of Princeton,are $35,000.00. What kind of taxes are involved when inheriting property? My Important Question is this: Does my brother actually need to go to the courthouse to change everything to him? My father and brother carry the same name. No SR. or Jr. was used on the Deeds, Titles, will, Power of Attorney,Etc. If my brother and father are one and the same by name, can't he just move in? I think this is what my father had intended by his comment to my brother before his death,"Don't do anything, just move right in.". Please help, I don't want to see my brother shell out more cash..death is soo expensive!

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Probate will have to be done, normally where the death occurred. An alternate probate may need to be done in the state where the properties are located. Brother needs to be talking to a probate attorney in RI to handle the main estate. Title/deed transfers will be done as part of probate, either in WV or RI.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential