• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Calif. my motherin-law lived with us for the last 10 months and passed away in Dec. I was her main care giver, she had alziemiers and was going blind, I was wondering if my husband and I could claim her on our taxes this year? We didn't charge her rent but she did pay for some of her medical supplies but not all.



You probably can, depending on a few things. Go to irs.gov and look up Pub. 501, it will tell you what you need to know.


Senior Member
If you provided more than 50% of her support and her income (not including social security) was under $3,050 for the year, you can probably claim her. If you can claim her, you might also be able to take a credit for dependent care expenses if you had to hire help to allow you to work or attend school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential