• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



failed to file taxes since moving to mexico

california. i have not filed an income tax report for several years now. i have been living in mexico (i am a united states citizen) with my huband (he is a mexican citizen) and 2 children. i have not been employed since i filed my last report. we live with my in-laws.am i in trouble with the irs? what steps do i need to take?

[Edited by cez on 06-01-2001 at 08:00 PM]



Mexican residency

If your husband is a Mexican citizen, living in Mexico, he owes not US tax unless he earned money in the US. In any case, since you have not been employed (I assume that means you earned no income) since you last filed a US return, you have no tax liability, and since you did not earn anything, you were not required to file a US return.

In short, you are in no trouble and there is nothing you need to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential