• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxpayer Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Microwages

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I own property in another county/township from my legal residence. There is a township meeting coming up in the township where I own property and pay taxes. I have heard from other people outside the township (also property owners) that we are not allowed to be heard at these meetings because we do not reside in the township.

Am I wrong in thinking this is not right. If I am not allowed to have a say in the how my tax dollars are spent because I am not a resident, then the taxes that I pay should be allocated to my residence, not where the township where the property is owned.

Am I wrong in thinking this is not right?

abezon

You're wrong. County taxes are spent by county councils, which are elected by the registered voters in that county. Since you can only register to vote in the county where you live, you don't have much say in what the other county does. You can probably go to the meeting and speak, but the councilmembers may not give much weight to your views.

Each county gets to tax all land located within its borders, unless it's exempt from tax for some reason.

T

taxinfoman

Microwages concerns

unfortunately abezon is correct but not to clear. You have the right to go to the meetings, but the council may not take note to your concerns even though your taxes pay their pay checks. the First Amendment to the Constitution provides for this. See if you can find a free legal clinic or a local law school and ask the the same question. I've found that law students do an excellent job at research. They have not been corrupted by the system yet.

L

loku

Law students, like taxinfoman, do not understand the law--that is why they are students.

T

taxinfoman

Law Students

It is was mistake.

I should have pointed out that the law students that do extra work in legal clinics and for Assistant D.A.'s offices and the like receive credits for hours worked and are, for the most part, in their last year and are ready for BAR exams to get their degrees.

If they are only students, when do they not become students?

Are you saying that once they graduate, they automatically become professional know-it-alls?

:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">