• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher sexual abuse/rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barlowe45

Can a teacher be charged with sexual abuse and/or rape almost 30 years after the fact? He currently is in administration in the North Carolina Public School System but the crimes were committed in the South Carolina Public School Systems. If so, how do I go about reporting this or who should I contact. From what I've gathered he may still be doing the same thing.
Thank you for any assistance.

Just Blue

Can a teacher be charged with sexual abuse and/or rape almost 30 years after the fact? He currently is in administration in the North Carolina Public School System but the crimes were committed in the South Carolina Public School Systems. If so, how do I go about reporting this or who should I contact. From what I've gathered he may still be doing the same thing.
Who are you in this situation?

quincy

How did you "gather" that the teacher might again be committing sexual abuse or rape?

There is no statute of limitations for sexual abuse crimes in South Carolina although the longer one waits to report the crime, the less likely there will be prosecution or conviction.

There is a 3 year statute of limitations (or 6 years after a minor turns 21) for civil actions.

barlowe45

Maybe 'gather' is the wrong term. I was told by my wife and one other that he's the type that would probably still be doing the same thing.

quincy

Maybe 'gather' is the wrong term. I was told by my wife and one other that he's the type that would probably still be doing the same thing.
I advise that you, your wife and all others refrain from making unsupported allegations. To continue with the "gossip" is a good way to get sued for defamation.

If someone was sexually abused in South Carolina by the teacher (however long ago), that person can contact the police in South Carolina and report the crime. The police will investigate.

Schools do background checks on applicants for teaching positions. If the teacher's background check did not raise red flags, you should not raise them with speculations.

A teacher's reputation is valuable. Handle with care.

barlowe45

Thank you. Zero speculation here about what happened back then. Since then, you're right. Just speculation.

quincy

Thank you. Zero speculation here about what happened back then. Since then, you're right. Just speculation.
The person who was sexually abused in South Carolina must be the one to act. If no report is made, the teacher will not be investigated, arrested, charged, or convicted of a crime. In other words, he is not a criminal. He should not be treated as one.

quincy

He isn't a convicted criminal.

If he abused children while he was their teacher, he is a criminal.
Legally he is not a criminal.

He should not be called a sexual abuser unless or until he is convicted of the crime.

To say someone has committed sexual abuse without proof of the truth of that statement is defamatory if false.

ajkroy

Legally he is not a criminal.

He should not be called a sexual abuser unless or until he is convicted of the crime.

To say someone has committed sexual abuse without proof of the truth of that statement is defamatory if false.
I understand. I was just making a distinction in your statement. Just because Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion, it doesn't mean that was the only time he operated outside the law. The OP seemed to 1) completely believe the victim and 2) understand the implications of a false rumor.

quincy

I understand. I was just making a distinction in your statement. Just because Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion, it doesn't mean that was the only time he operated outside the law. The OP seemed to 1) completely believe the victim and 2) understand the implications of a false rumor.
I understood the distinction you were making :) but it needs to be an unspoken distinction.

A teacher should not have his reputation harmed by unproven accusations of sexual assault.

That is why - if the victim hopes to protect others - she needs to report the sexual abuse to South Carolina police.

It is possible nothing will come of her report after all this time but it is a guarantee nothing will come of it if it is never reported.

xylene

Bottom line:

Your spouse should talk with a lawyer and a skilled counselor before raising these allegations publicly.

You can't do this for her.

quincy

Bottom line:

Your spouse should talk with a lawyer and a skilled counselor before raising these allegations publicly.

You can't do this for her.
You only need to flashback to the Kavanaugh/Ford hearings to see how allegations of past sexual misconduct can play out publicly in ways that forever affect the parties involved.

Whether to report long-ago sexual abuse is a decision that should not be made without a great deal of thought and, I agree with xylene, advance counseling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">