• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenage Son's Child Support Issues...help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BABYRN4FUN

What is the name of your state? :ca
just need some advice ...my teenage son and his girlfriend are pregnant..my son is well aware of his responsibility to this child but i want to make sure he's protected and that she doesnt come back in 2-3 years and say he never paid child support...are the dated and noted checks he plans to give her nce the baby's born, for child support considered legal??? does he need to seek a lawyers help???? what are my rights as a grandparent???? thanks for ANY advice!!!!!

Bre's_mom

You can do 2 things,

1. open a case with childsupport yourself, so its documented.

2. If you dont open a case, make sure you have copies of the checks you send bio mom.

Also, are they not together anymore? If not go to the court house to establish paternity, when the baby is born. Good luck;)

VeronicaGia

Here's a link to California Family Codes:

www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Click on Family Codes, then click search. Read everything about child support, visitation and custody.

IMHO, your son is much better off opening a case for support to pay support through DCSE. That way, hopefully, the bio mom can't apply for welfare, and make your son pay it back with interest.
Best of luck

Have your son protect himself.

C

CombatTN88

Tell your son to get married with his girlfriend, so he doesn't have to pay child support.

R

rtuchek

Combat - that has to be the worst advice i've ever heard. having sex is not love and because a baby results does not warrant marriage.

if the marriage doesn't work and they divorce, he'll have to pay child support (that he was trying to avoid in the first place!), possibly alimony and he'll be at risk of losing the value of half of his assets.

living together might be an option here. to protect himself though, i agree with imastepmomtoo.

F

frusteratedgf

rtuchek said:
Combat - that has to be the worst advice i've ever heard. having sex is not love and because a baby results does not warrant marriage.

if the marriage doesn't work and they divorce, he'll have to pay child support (that he was trying to avoid in the first place!), possibly alimony and he'll be at risk of losing the value of half of his assets.

living together might be an option here. to protect himself though, i agree with imastepmomtoo.
As long as noones been to court yet he doesn't have to pay child support...so if they break up and she takes him to court for support then thats when he will have to start paying it...if theres no court order stating that hes to pay support right now then he wont have to pay back support...Just to be safe though have ur son keep reciepts for anything he buys for the baby...like clothes, food, diapers...etc...Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">