• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telling the US border patrol (land) your intent to travel discretely?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryasaunderox

Apologies if this is a weird question but I need help ASAP as I am travelling in a few hours.
I am travelling as an 18+ Canadian citizen from Canada into the US. I am on a gap year and I want to stay in the states for tourism for a bit (I know the 6 month policy for Canadians). I am being dropped off by my parents who think that my intention is school. When the border patrol asks for my intent, how do I discretely tell them that it is tourism without my parents knowing? Is there some form I can give them? Will they be understanding of this? Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You pull up your big boy (or big girl) panties and you tell your parents the truth. No, there is not a form you can give them and I very much doubt that in the current political climate the US customs are going to be "understanding" of your wish to mislead your parents. You're adult enough to be traveling on your own? You're adult enough to tell Mommy and Daddy what you're really going to do.

Tell me, when your parents ask about your classes and your grades, what do you plan to tell them?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Apologies if this is a weird question but I need help ASAP as I am travelling in a few hours.
I am travelling as an 18+ Canadian citizen from Canada into the US. I am on a gap year and I want to stay in the states for tourism for a bit (I know the 6 month policy for Canadians). I am being dropped off by my parents who think that my intention is school. When the border patrol asks for my intent, how do I discretely tell them that it is tourism without my parents knowing? Is there some form I can give them? Will they be understanding of this? Thanks!
Um... Why do your parents believe that you are going to school? Have they been duped into paying for your at a US college or university? Or have you taken money for that purpose, and are using that to fund your "gap year"?

Why should border control be "understanding" of this - maybe they'd understand that if you've lied to your parents about school, that you could even more easily lie to border control that you're visiting as a tourist. Maybe you're really planning on working while being a "tourist".

There's a reason why some provinces have 19 as the age of majority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">