• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temp costudy out of state..?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ramonglorive

Temp custody out of state..?

What is the name of your state? PA.
I need to let my ex-wife have the kids for at least for 6 month(temporary custody) . The problem is that the mother lives in IL. in a housing that the US Marines provides. What paper work follows to get this done. Having spent time in court before, I know that this takes time; How can I do this without going to court and speed up the process? :confused:

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

I'm not sure I understand your question, and I'm bumping your post up.

Was she awarded temporary custody by the courts? If not, once she has the kids for six months, she can file for a change of venue to her current state and file for permanent custody.

Are you sure this is what you want to do? Or do I have your question wrong?

R

ramonglorive

Yes, this is what I want to do because at this time I don't have a permanent home for the kids. And no the court did not award her with 6 month of temp. custody, I will like for her to have them for 6 month until I'm stable again ,otherwise I will need to move out of the country with them and they don't want to go.

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

So you have court ordered custody and are paid court ordered support, is that correct on both counts?

If so, once she has the children for six months, she can establish residency and ask the court to award her custody and support. As it is, once you relenquish custody to her, and she can prove it, she can have the order modified in the current state (PA). She will only need to enroll the child in school, set up a doctor, etc. After six months, she can ask for a change of jurisdiction in IL, giving IL control of the order. You can of course object, but if you're not living in the U.S. this could pose a problem. Will you be living abroad for six months only, and are you absolutely sure about that? I'm just trying to make you realize that six months could turn into the rest of your life quite easily. Are you willing to forego custody possibly forever?

Check here to see what countries have reciprocating agreements with either PA and IL:

http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/selectastate.cfm

Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">