• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temp Staffing Co. - Stuck with payroll

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoledude

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I operate a temporary staffing business and one of my industrial customers just notified me that they are unable to keep up with their bills and may close their doors in the next few weeks. Of course, I immediately stopped supplying them with workers.

I have been supplying them with 80 employees and they've been paying me $35-$45k each week however, they still owe me $178,000 for payroll services, all provided to them within the last thirty days.

If they go into bankruptcy, will the money they owe my corporation for employment services be viewed as "wages" affording my company a priority
to be paid before most other creditors, or will it be considered otherwise?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Beth3

You're a supplier, not an employee therefore the money they owe you is not wages. YOU owe your employees wages; the company owes you payment for your invoices in the same manner that they owe money to any other supplier.

JETX

Yep, and even wages are not 'secured'. I know of several (former) employees of bankrupt firms owed wages... and never got a dime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">