• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporarily import car to Mexico without lien holder permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I want to bring my car to Mexico. I'm a US citizen currently a temporary resident here. I have all the forms and paperwork and know the process. However, my lien holder said I can only have the car in Mexico for TWO WEEKS MAX. My lien holder is a small credit union. I've heard at the border that many times, they do not ask to see the "permission letter" from the lien holder. I went ahead and requested the letter so at least I have it to enter the country.

- What are the cons of disregarding the lien holder's 2 week max rule? Penalty? Fine? What is the worst that can happen?

- How could the lien holder ever even know I'm living at a temp resident in Mexico?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's entirely possible that the lien holder will take steps to repossess the car (a civil matter), or even report this as a crime.

#2 is irrelevant to the legal question.

justalayman

- What are the cons of disregarding the lien holder's 2 week max rule? Penalty? Fine? What is the worst that can happen?
The worst that can happen? It depends on what the contract allows and whether you think the loan being called due in full is a problem if the contract allows for it.

Then, once the loan is called, if you think the lender filing legal actions for the balance in full is a problem

And whether you see the lender seeking to repossess the car is a problem, even after you return to the states

LdiJ

I would suspect that as long as the payments are made strictly on time that it won't actually end up being an issue. However, I could see all heck breaking loose if the payments are not made strictly on time.

justalayman

I would suspect that as long as the payments are made strictly on time that it won't actually end up being an issue. However, I could see all heck breaking loose if the payments are not made strictly on time.
Probably so..

I was intending to answer the ops question of “what’s the worst case scenario”

Look for the requirement that is probably included where the contract obligates you to inform the lender of the relocation of the vehicle or a change of your residence.
Great. I will do that @justalayman Thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate it. Today has been wild with a good friend about to lose her dad, to tons of work and figuring out this personal project. Nice to have someone be helpful and considerate. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">