• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hanka

Traveling with Expired Temporary Green Card

What is the name of your state? NJ

My temporary green card (gained through marriage with american citizen) will expire 5/1/2007. I know that I have to fill out form I-751 within 90 days of the expiration. My question is ... At the end of April or in May I would like to go visit my family to show my newborn son. What should I do? Can I travel with expired green card or do I have to wait until I get a new one, which can take probably really long time.

Please advise, what to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

AHA

Shortly after you file the I-751, you will receive a notice from USCIS explaining that your GC is extended for a year while processing your application. You need to keep that letter with you at all times along with the expired GC. It should be sufficient for abroad travel, but you can't trust anyone nowadays, much less immigration/customs at the airports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">