• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant agreed to move out, then doesn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tony G

We have a situation that seems complex and we don't know what to do with it. I'm trying to be very concise but please let me know if I'm missing important information.

A home owner in a small Illinois town bought another house and rented the first. After some years and a few tenants, the owner wanted to sell the second home and move back to the first. The yearly agreement for the current tenant had expired and the tenant was month-to-month.

The owner put the second home up for sale, got a buyer, and gave 30+ days notice to the tenant. The timing seemed ideal. The tenant said they understand, they're looking for a new house of their own and they would be out by the time new owner wanted to move back into their home.

Just before moving day the tenant had not left. They presented the owner with written terms, actually a formal agreement where they were positioning themselves as the owners and the actual owner was in the position of a tenant. They said they were going to stay for another month, or longer if they wished, and that they wanted the rent fee decreased - or they weren't going to let the owner move in.

After many exchanges they came to an amicable agreement. The owner was infuriated with the situation but needed to make plans to move, or get stuck in a hotel with a house of furniture going to storage. The house is a two-flat plus basement, originally the main floor plus "in-law" space upstairs. The agreement was that the owner would move in upstairs, with one of the kids in a finished room in the basement. This would be acceptable for one month to give the tenant time to find a new place.

On moving day, with the truck at the house, the tenant once again insisted that the paper be signed or they wouldn't be allowed to move in. The owner had been baited and now had no way out. Many items had already been moved into the garage. There was no place for the owner to go, or the kids, or the dog. The tenant had the owner in a horrible spot. The owner signed the bogus agreement under duress, knowing it wouldn't hold up in court, and was given permission to move into their own house.

Since then, there has been a stream of verbal abuse for no reason against the owner by the tenant. We think there is alcohol involved. No one wants to engage with the tenant about nightly noise and other issues. They just want to get through the month and be done with it.

But there is really no reason to believe that the tenant has any intention of moving. The tenant is well-employed, despite the current national tragedy. In fact, three people in the house are well-employed - they were looking to buy a house. They are not faced with unfortunately common circumstances where the tenant can't afford to move, or other hardship for which tenants are well-protected by Illinois law. These people are just waiting for an ideal opportunity for themselves at the extreme inconvenience of the owner.

The owner has the utilities in their name. An additional problem now is that the area is not zoned for multi-family tenancy. The owner is concerned that they cannot complain about the noise, verbal abuse, or the situation in general, because technically there are two families now living in the house zoned for one. But it's their house and they don't want the other people there.

In the State of Illinois, what rights and recourse does a home owner have in this situation?
Can the owner be fined for code violations?
Can those fines be transferred to the tenants?
Are the tenants now considered trespassers since their monthly terms have expired and were not renewed?
Does acceptance of a rent check constitute further agreement?
There are text messages confirming most of the details here between the parties. Can a case of breach of contract be brought against someone who 'was' a tenant?
And how is all of this affected by a ban on eviction now in place due to Covid-19?
Are courts or law enforcement processing issues like this during this health crisis?

In summary, how does the owner get to live in their own house again?

As a side note, the kid in the basement has migraine issues and is sensitive to these issues and perhaps to the basement environment. The large dog is old and is now being forced to go up two flights of stairs. She can't do that anymore. There are other consequential hardships. That make this time-sensitive.

Again, I can provide more details about the situation, except the specific location or anything else about the people involved.

Sincere thanks.

quincy

The homeowner probably will need the services of an attorney in Illinois to get himself out of the mess that he helped to create.

quincy

Has he tried cash for keys?
It doesn’t sound like money is the major problem - although cash for keys is something to offer.

(Off topic: STEPHAN, I hope you settled the air conditioner issue you had with your tenant. I was hoping for an update but saw you deleted your thread).

STEPHAN

(Off topic: STEPHAN, I hope you settled the air conditioner issue you had with your tenant. I was hoping for an update but saw you deleted your thread).
Tenant was sick. A new A/C will be installed on 8/8. Tenant found the thread and asked me politely to remove it.

quincy

Tenant was sick. A new A/C will be installed on 8/8. Tenant found the thread and asked me politely to remove it.
Thank you for the update, STEPHAN, and for explaining the disappearance of your thread. :)

And I apologize, Tony, for having briefly detoured your thread away from your concerns. I think you really will need assistance from an attorney in Illinois, though. Covid-19 has added an additional complication to your already complicated situation.

FarmerJ

Even if the house is not a two family the actual tenant agreed to let you move in so now you are also roomates and if you have to because of his verbal abuse and if he threatens you call the police any way maybe youll get lucky and this guy is wanted somewhere . In the begining when the tenant refused to vacate you should have just lived with it stored your stuff and camped out somewhere and used the courts if there is no eviction ban to evict him for failing to vacate after being given notice to move out. Most judges have no problem writing eviction orders to tenants who dig in and make LLs go that route.

Last edited:

Tony G

No problem on the digression, folks. Thanks for responses. Looking forward to more. Legal counsel seems inevitable ... but it's so expensive.
This is not my situation but all pronouns are fine.

Storing stuff and camping out somewhere is extremely expensive. A suit for recovery of expenses would take a long time during which the owner would be in hardship. So that path was not taken.

If by "cash for keys" the suggestion is to pay the tenant to leave, as @quincy said, money doesn't seem to be the tenant's issue. I think they just don't want to be bothered right now with finding an apartment when they want a house. This is all a matter of choices, not necessities. I have to believe that the law would quickly find against a party that is causing such grief for no good reason.

I found an Illinois statute (cited below) that essentially says the tenant could be responsible for double the property value plus legal fees during this situation. The owner originally solved the problem with the amicable joint-tenancy agreement, in part by reasoning with the tenant that a lawsuit and tenancy issues would reflect very poorly on their ability to secure a mortgage. If the tenant loses a suit and is forced to vacate and pay the owner's legal fees, the tenant would also be in a worse position to move out and put money down on a house anyway. The owner will reiterate these concerns in the hope that the tenant will again see reason for their own purposes. Does this reasoning actually hold water? Are there any other facts like this that might be compelling?

Based on that statute, as a lay person I would advise the owner to consider refusing any rent payment, as that could constitute a continued agreement for tenancy at a specific rate. Then calculate the value of the propery in square footage to which the owner does not have access, calculate that as a percentage of the monthly mortgage, double it, and suggest to the tenant that this is their new liability - plus legal fees for confirmation and recovery. Of course counsel must get involved, but is that understanding a reasonable take-away from that paragraph?

Assuming there is no financial, health, or other reasonable justification for the tenant remaining in place, and the owner cannot evict due to Covid-19, might the owner be able to pursue garnishment of wages in the above amounts? The understanding that this could be possible might help to motivate the tenant.

@FarmerJ noted that this could now be a roommate situation. Does this arrangement actually change the relationships?

Finally, regarding "to get himself out of the mess that he helped to create." Is there something here to indicate that the owner has done something culpable? Not in a legal sense necessarily, but did they blunder in a way that could sway legal opinion? My advice to the owner was to ensure the rental house was vacated before making commitments for leaving the sold house. The owner's concern was for the uncertainty of selling in the current economy, paying full mortgage on the rental property with no occupancy if the second house didn't sell, etc.. I agree they didn't plan well but if all had gone well with the tenant leaving then this could have been uncomfortably costly - and unfortunately many home sales follow that exact pattern. Is there something else implied or stated that I might need to clarify - or which the owner should reconsider for their own position?

Sincere thanks for your indulgence.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/073500050K9-202.htm
(735 ILCS 5/9-202) (from Ch. 110, par. 9-202)
Sec. 9-202. Wilfully holding over. If any tenant or any person who is in or comes into possession of any lands, tenements or hereditaments, by, from or under, or by collusion with the tenant, wilfully holds over any lands, tenements or hereditaments, after the expiration of his or her term or terms, and after demand made in writing, for the possession thereof, by his or her landlord, or the person to whom the remainder or reversion of such lands, tenements or hereditaments belongs, the person so holding over, shall, for the time the landlord or rightful owner is so kept out of possession, pay to the person so kept out of possession, or his or her legal representatives, at the rate of double the yearly value of the lands, tenements or hereditaments so detained to be recovered by a civil action. (Source: P.A. 83-707.)

quincy

The owner must obtain a judgment against the tenant before any wages can be garnished - and a judgment is obtained through a court action. The owner would need to sue.

Who are you in all of this? What makes this your concern?

I still recommend that the owner find an attorney in his area for advice and direction.

Here are links to the Illinois Governor’s Executive Order 2020-30 on evictions, extended through August (the second link with Chicago-specific information):

https://www2.illinois.gov/Pages/Executive-Orders/ExecutiveOrder2020-30.aspx

https://www.domu.com/chicago/apartments-for-rent/coronavirus/illinois-eviction-moratorium-extends-to-august-2020-for-renters

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Some tenants become very short sighted when it comes to their so called sense of entitlement. By shortsighted I believe some take the view that a court filing to evict them wont hurt them when it comes to buying a home or some how wont matter once they are in. BUT NO one can predict whats going to happen a few years into the future and the fact that a LL had to file to make them get out or evict based on non pay somehow wont affect them and I suggest they are wrong since in years to come they may see credit related things be denied OR may see less favorable terms offered because of the old civil court records since those civil court records are not going to go away anytime soon ( compared to how things were say back in the 80s pre easily available electronic record era)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">