• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant gave 1 day notice and destroyed my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crawfordkp

Ohio
My tenant gave me 1 day notice via text and said I would not being receiving anymore rent. I went to check out the property that day and my property was destroyed. There were 5 shattered windows, the dryer was gone, all the carpet was gone. The bar in the basement was destroyed among other things. She didn't pay the last month rent and didn't give me the two months notice that was required in the lease.

Her kids' father was the one who paid the rent. He didn't live there. I know she doesn't have a job and I have no idea where she lives now so I can't send a notice for small claims court. I have a check the last rent check from him so I know his address. Can I send letter to him asking him for the damages and does he have any legal obligations to pay since he was the one paying the rent?

She has sent me several text messages telling her to leave her the F*** alone because she isnt paying me S***.

What is my best method in trying to collect the damages and back rent?

Thank you!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohio
My tenant gave me 1 day notice via text and said I would not being receiving anymore rent. I went to check out the property that day and my property was destroyed. There were 5 shattered windows, the dryer was gone, all the carpet was gone. The bar in the basement was destroyed among other things. She didn't pay the last month rent and didn't give me the two months notice that was required in the lease.

Her kids' father was the one who paid the rent. He didn't live there. I know she doesn't have a job and I have no idea where she lives now so I can't send a notice for small claims court. I have a check the last rent check from him so I know his address. Can I send letter to him asking him for the damages and does he have any legal obligations to pay since he was the one paying the rent?

She has sent me several text messages telling her to leave her the F*** alone because she isnt paying me S***.

What is my best method in trying to collect the damages and back rent?

Thank you!!!
If he wasn't on the rental agreement, then he doesn't have any obligation simply because he was writing the checks. If you can find her, then sue her. How much of a deposit did you have?

crawfordkp

I filed a police report. I had a $800 deposit which which is only a fraction of the damage. The thing the sucks most is she will keep on doing this to people.

FarmerJ

Right now it appears you may not get any thing but if you can get this into court then I would tell you once you have won a judgement then learn how long it will be for in your state and what you would have to do if your state lets you renew it. In time should something be more positive in her life that leads to money you might get it later on, In the time being once a court record is out there with her name on it that court record can be found by other possible landlords , employers, insurance companies and a host of other things that may end up costing her more money of a job or LLs refusing to rent to her because of finding the court hist. SO its up to you , but if you chose to not take her to court then she can more easily do this again and again .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">